Despite the challenging, windy and wet conditions faced during an incredible 108km and 53km journey; on Sunday 6th December, 36 riders crossed the finish line in support of Mentis Assist.
The pelotons departed from Peninsula Hot Springs at 7:30am before spending the morning touring through the breathtaking and diverse landscape of the Mornington Peninsula. Sights of the beautiful hinterland, a salty ocean breeze and the notorious climb up Arthurs Seat made up a small portion of their ride. Arthurs Seat Eagle café, which managed to reopen on the previous weekend, happily supported the event by serving complimentary hot coffees and cakes (individually wrapped) to a small handful of peloton riders after their steep ascend.
The riders, plus twenty-one supporting crew members, including lead riders, mechanics, paramedics and photographers gladly sat down for a nourishing post-ride lunch as local champion and Ride for Relief special guest rider, Steele von Hoff, who won gold in the men’s road race at the 2018 Commonwealth Games shared his personal journey. The day finished with a well-deserved and much-appreciated recovery session in our geothermal mineral pools.
So far the event has raised over $30,000 for Mentis Assist.
We also thank:
- Arthurs Seat Eagle for their wonderful hospitality
- Steele von Hoff (pictured above) for being part of the event and sharing his personal journey
- David Heatley from Cycling-Inform for providing a custom-made training program
- Mornington Cycles for sending a lead rider and mechanic
- Janis House for providing great event photos
- Bade Stapleton from Connect Sport Australia for managing the safe and seamless event rides for the three consecutive years
As well as all the other volunteers who cheered the riders to the very end.
At the post-event lunch, an exciting Ride for Relief 2021 plan was announced. The event will be extended to include an option of a 6-day tour from Mallacoota in far Eastern Victoria to Peninsula Hot Springs, as an addition to the original one day event on the Mornington Peninsula. Expressions of interest in joining either of these event activities are open Enquire here.